I, Robot

9 out of 10

Despite having spent most of my teenage years reading 99% of Isaac Asimov's entire sci-fi output, I still struggle to remember whether I, Robot is actually one of his stories, or just inspired by his work. Whatever, it's pretty faithful to Asimov's classic detective storylines and, of course, incorporates his famous three laws.

Here, Will Smith plays detective Spooner, a robot-sceptic in a world that has come to welcome robots into their lives as harmless assistants. The movie starts with Spooner being called in to investigate the apparent suicide of the scientist who first created mankind's new servants. Turns out he was requested as the investigator by the victim himself and Spooner smells a rat. All is not as straightforward as it seems and, in the face of mounting resistance, he sets out to discover a more sinister truth behind it all.

I have to say, I love this film. I've probably seen it 4 times now and I've yet to grow tired of it. In fact, I always find myself wishing someone would cast Smith in more big-budget Asimov detective stories. Hell, there's a whole series of Elijah Bailey / Daneel stories to be adapted. Surely someone's gonna do it? Please?

Regardless, if I continue to enjoy this film in a few years' time, I may even see past its disgracefully blatant product placement to give it a ten. Great story, well cast, well acted, well directed, and with perfect CGI. Great stuff. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downfall

The Brothers Grimm