Y Tu Mamá También

7 out of 10

Y tu mamá también (“And your mother too”) is a road-trip movie, following a pair of cocky, horny, dope-loving young lads who convince a married woman to join them on a trip to the beach in Mexico. Along the way, they all learn a fair bit about each other, not least the sexual histories of the two lads, who are quite intent on widening their experience with their latest Mrs Robinson. Dirty, dirty boys.

By this point, I sound like a bit of a prude, but that’s just my trick to hide the fact that I, a single male living alone, rented what is a decidedly fruity bit of foreign cinema. Yes, there’s plenty of the old in-out going on here, but, in all honesty, it’s the changing nature of the friendship between the two lads that is key. And for that, it was quite good. Without the benefit of speaking Spanish and being au fait with Mexican culture, I can’t be sure, but I’d say it was fairly well acted and directed. In fact, I’d love to give it a higher mark purely for the delight that was Maribel Verdú, but that would simply expose me as a perv.

Instead, it gets just seven, as it’s pretty good, and worthy to a point, but had it been British, I probably wouldn’t have given it a second look. That probably says more about me and British cinema than the film itself, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downfall

The Brothers Grimm